The dragonfly is most commonly associated with the symbolic meaning of transformation, joy, and rebirth. In almost every part of the world it is considered a fascinating creature that represents change — often in association with self-realization, emotional maturity, and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life.
In some Native American traditions, dragonfly is a sign of happiness, speed, and purity; and it is also a symbol of the departed souls. In China, the dragonfly is associated with prosperity and harmony, and is often perceived as a good luck charm. The dragonfly is well-respected in Japan, symbolizing courage, strength, and victory. Dragonfly is also Japan’s national emblem.
The dragonfly spirit animal carries the wisdom of transformation and adaptability in life. It is connected to the realm of emotions, joy, lightness of being, and change. The dragonfly is characterized by its amazing flight patterns: it is able to change direction swiftly, gliding through the air with no apparent effort. Its lightness inspires us to use our ability to be flexible and highly adaptable in any situation. The dragonfly invites us to keep a light, positive outlook no matter what the situation may be. It encourages us to accept change and to open up to the magic of nature and the elements.
When Dragonfly shows up in your life:
- You may be reminded to bring a bit more lightness and joy into your life.
- You may be called to explore your emotions.
- You may be encouraged to show your true colors more often and shine.
- It is perhaps time to look through illusion: a situation or someone’s intentions are not clear and may be deceiving.
- You may be called to transform and evolve, to live and experience yourself differently, and to stay open to the unfolding of your personal journey.
If Dragonfly is your Animal Guide:
- You are flexible and highly adaptable in any situation.
- You may be inclined to delve deep into your emotions.
- You don’t hide your true colors.
Ask Dragonfly’s help when:
- You’re stuck in a situation and need assistance to gain a new perspective. The solution might lie in your ability to adapt and tackle the issue from a different angle.
- You wish to bring about the changes needed in your life in order to reach your full potential.
Did you know?
Dragonflies have existed on the planet for over 300 million years. With about 3000 species today, they inhabit almost every continent (except Antarctica). Adult dragonflies are characterized by large, multifaceted eyes that are composed of nearly 24,000 individual units. Dragonflies can move at a speed of 45 miles an hour. They can hover like a helicopter, fly backwards like a hummingbird, fly straight up, down, or to either side.