The Owl Spirit Animal represents a deep connection with wisdom and intuitive knowledge. In many traditions owls are symbolic of death, but this should not necessarily be taken literally — the presence of the owl could merely announce transition and change in one’s life.
According to the Manataka Indian traditions, Grandmother Owl is often thought to come to those who need to let go of some part of their lives that is no longer needed. As a guide, the owl teaches us to see and hear past shadows, beyond fear and darkness, through to the other side that promises light, happiness, and knowledge. As a spirit animal, the owl also guides us to see beyond the veil of deception and illusion; it helps see what’s kept hidden. It also symbolizes the ability to cut through illusions and see the real meaning of someone’s action or state of mind. Grandmother Owl can offer us inspiration and guidance necessary to deeply explore the unknown and the magic of life.
Photography by Carol Glassman
When Owl shows up in your life:
- You may be encouraged to listen and look out for the subtle signs that are around you.
- You may need to peer into the darkness and face your fears. Perhaps a great mystery that is unfolding will be revealed by looking deeper into its meaning.
- You may have to look beyond deceiving appearances into the true reality of a situation or a person’s motives.
If Owl is your Animal Guide:
- You have a strong intuition and can access information and wisdom that’s usually hidden to most.
- You are likely to have the ability to see beyond deceit and masks.
- You probably like to explore the unknown.
Ask for Owl’s help when:
- You have to assess a situation or are going through confusing times.
- You need guidance to uncover your hidden potential and abilities.
- You wish to find deeper reasoning in a situation or a relationship.
When Owl comes to you in a dream:
Your spirit animal may be contacting you to warn you about a danger or threat that you need to pay attention to. It can bring a wise insight about important matters that you should not ignore. It could also mean that the intuitive part of you is calling for attention: be attentive to signs and also to what usually goes below your radar – now it may be of particular importance. Seeing an owl in your dream may also represent the spirit of a deceased family member of close friend.
Did you know?
There are about 200 species of owls across the world and 18 are found in North America. The owl is a silent flyer, with extraordinary vision and the best hearing of any bird in the world. Owls can rotate their heads and necks as much as 270 degrees. The largest owl by length is the great grey owl, which can attain a length of 33 inches. Eurasian eagle owls can reach a wingspan of 6.6 ft and a weight of 10 lb in the largest females. The smallest owl is the elf owl that weighs as little as 1 oz and measures approximately 5 inches. It is illegal to capture or kill an owl in the United States. Contrary to superstition, owls pose no threat to humans, physically or spiritually.
Photography by Cheryl McCorkle